Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Red Beans and Rice; Isn't That Nice

     This Monday I, like many of those who reside in New Orleans, took part in the tradition of eating Red Beans and Rice. The Monday tradition comes from when women would wash clothes on Mondays and would set out red beans to cook with a leftover ham bone from the Sunday's dinner. I usually eat red beans and rice every Monday in the campus dining hall, but this Monday I decided to get something better.

     Mahoney's Po Boy Shop on Magazine St. serves the dish on only Mondays and I had been eager to try their rendition after eating their Po Boys. The Po Boys are some of the best I've had since I've moved here, and it is one of my favorite places to eat in New Orleans. At Mahoney's, Red Beans and Rice is served with a side plate of delicious cornbread drenched in butter and your choice of hot sausage or fried catfish, the latter of which I opted for. Mixed in with the beans is sliced smoked sausage and ham, which adds much of the flavor, as well as a ham hock. The dish is then garnished with green onions. On the table there was both Tabasco and Crystal hot sauces, which are definitely an essential part of eating red beans and rice.

Red Beans and Rice at Mahoney's

Click here for a brief history of Red Beans and Rice (and a recipe!)





No comments:

Post a Comment